Sunday, July 5, 2009

Phil Williams -- Alabama District 6

I have really gotten behind on posts to this blog this summer -- for a combination of reasons. But it is not because I have been thinking less of my Civic Duty. In fact, I have done more as a civics-minded citizen during the last couple of months than I normally do.

A friend of mine introduced me to Phil Williams, the Conservative who is running in a special election for Alabama Congressman from our district. I have now been to and/or hosted 3 events for Mr. Williams. If he is elected he will bring the number of Republicans in the Alabama House up to 44, almost half, for the first time in a very long time. From everything I have seen and heard, I believe he will do a great job.

On Monday, we went to a fund raiser for Phil at the Botanical Gardens. It was great to be in a room with over 200 like-minded people from our area. Governor Riley spoke highly of Phil, and looks forward to Phil joining him from Montgomery. One of the points Gov. Riley made was that Phil Williams understands business (which is sadly, unusual for someone running for public office). The Governor sees this election as a great opportunity for this area, and I have to agree with him.

Then Phil addressed us for a few minutes: "I'm so proud to be from Alabama... Everything great that's happened to me has been in Alabama..."

And he wisely noted, "We need to be prepared for a storm...get out of debt...Get to know your elected officials now (get ready for 2010).

If you are in Alabama District 6, get out and vote for Phil Williams on July 14. It is a special election, only for this position, so it is critical that we take the time to vote that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment