Monday, July 6, 2009

Town Hall Meeting vs TEA Party

I sent the following letter to the editor in to my local newspaper today about the political events I attended last week. Time will tell whether they print this one or not. (They printed a letter I sent in in January about their awful coverage of Home Births, and they didn't print the one I sent in in April about CPSIA.)

This was a very political week for me. On Tuesday I attended a fundraiser for the next District 6 Congressman, Phil Williams; On Thursday I attended a Town Hall Meeting on Health Care put on by our U.S. Congressman Parker Griffith, and on Saturday I attended the Huntsville TEA Party. Needless to say they were very different events.

It was shocking to see how many folks Thursday evening supported Griffith and others in the idea of allowing the government to meddle in the greatest Health Care system in the World. The pleas for Congress to go to a “Single Payer” system shocked me.

On the other hand it was exciting to see 5,000 other concerned citizens from the greater Huntsville area at the TEA Party. It was not a protest; it was a gathering; an assembly; an opportunity to express our frustrations with a government that has gotten out of control at multiple levels. We want our government to return to its true role in our lives – as a government of the people and for the people.
Contrary to the voices of a few on Thursday, we do not need a Nanny State. We are adults. We are ready and willing to make decisions for ourselves. We want those in our government to abide by the law of the land, the U.S. Constitution, no more and no less.

(Footnote -- They did print the editorial in the opinion section of the paper on 8 July, under the heading "Rein in Government")

No comments:

Post a Comment